Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bystanders Negative Effect on Society



In American society, being a bystander is becoming more relevant than in the past. People are avoiding opportunities to help others who face problems, and evidence of this can be seen from the news to daily life. Personally, I've experienced being a bystander. Last summer, while I walked home at around eleven p.m., I heard a shattering sound in the distance. At the moment I didn't think too much of it, I just assumed that someone may have broken glass on the concrete. As I walked closer to the origin of the sound, I saw someone in one of my neighbor's cars scouring through it with shards of glass on the ground. Enveloped with fear, I sprinted away towards my house. I ran never looking back, I didn't even know if he was following me. As soon as I entered my house I went straight into my room to my bed. I was so afraid that the person was pursuing me, I didn't want to move. That night I fell asleep with the crime fresh on my mind and untold. The next morning I awoke to startling news. My mom had told me that my neighbor had sent an email out explaining how someone had broken into her son's car and stolen his radio and sound system. She sent a warning out as well as asking for any information regarding the situation. At the time I was glad to have gotten away safely, so I didn't tell my mom anything. I decided to keep silent which I knew was the wrong choice, but I had no interest in getting more involved. I feel situations like these are more prevalent among Americans where they choose not to speak up. If someone had broken into my car, I would hope that someone would have enough courage to tell me what they had seen. After this experience I now realize how difficult it is to stand up and do the right thing; however, if America expects to move forward as a society, people need to make an effort to help one another as much as possible.


Picture Citation:


"Car Thief" Blog. Web. 7 Oct. 2010
http://readinguponthejones.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment